December 07, 2006

The End is Near

I completed my last practicum final today. Not only is it hard to believe that the first semester is drawing to close, it is equally difficult to realize that I still have another week of finals to go. Albeit, the written part is less nerve-wracking, but still two weeks worth of finals? This stinks.

For those of you who are interested here is my break-down of the practicals:

Final #1 Baking: Uber-stressful. I wrote a very tidy list of tasks and stop following it, oh, about halfway through. Highlights: (a)After carefully peeling an apple and slicing it evenly, I accidentally threw it all out. Note to self- keep slices; trash cores. (b)Bread dough is not rising. Bread dough is still not rising. Bread dough is going to be the death of me. (c)Will people please stop opening the oven every two f'ing minutes for the love of Pete! Yes, this exam went well. I had a half-baked pie and a loaf of unrisen bread to present Chef at the end of three hours. Granted, I didn't fail which I was honestly expecting, but it wasn't the A++ I was hoping for either. Thankfully, it goes up hill from here, at least grade-wise.

Final #2 Garde manager: Once again, I get assigned into a group that includes my least favorite person. I come to believe that this is not accidental. Within five minutes, I slice my finger on my vegetable peeler while trying to get my knife. This is the first time I ever cut myself in class. Least Favorite Person (tm) not only manages to screw up our vinaigrette which is really his only task(and through good group effort we salvage) but also almost catches the whole kitchen on fire by putting a sheet of parchment paper under the broiler and places his fingers deliberately and directly under my knife while I am cutting broccoli florets. He is extremely lucky that I see this before it is too late and not so lucky that I yell at him for being unsafe. I didn't think that I would be a yeller in the kitchen but there you go. Grade: Go team!

Final #3 Culinary Fundamentals: Health conscious readers, close your eyes. The partner and I have gone through a dozen and a half eggs in the past 5 days so that I can practice my scrambled egg technique. I don't plan on eating any eggs for a good long while, except in baked goods. On knife cuts, I did better than expected but I know and Chef knows that my cubing is crap. Right angles, yes. Perfect squares, no. I do believe that I have finally mastered julienning. Also, am now expert potato shaver.

Four written next week and then rushing home to be with my family after my dad has some surgery. See you soon.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you the best of luck on week two of your finals. The end is almost near.
Nohemi

December 10, 2006 4:55 PM  
Blogger Leann said...

We had our finals a week and a half ago and I feel your pain!!! LOL Love your description of the practicals... that could have been me writing that. Best wishes and have a Merry Christmas. Oh, found you through Dani at Never Trust a Culinary Student. :)

December 12, 2006 10:30 AM  
Blogger ASK said...

I hope your finals went well. I finished grading and working on papers this Tuesday. I just completed my reading of London's Iron Heel. Not bad. Onto Chesnut's Conjure Woman.

December 15, 2006 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home