March 30, 2006

Kugel?

So, I foolishly volunteered myself to make the potato kugel for my family's seder this year, which happens to fall two days after my dad's surgery. Here's the rub: I hate potato kugel. I love my mom's noodle kugel, with cottage cheese, sour cream, egg noodles, crushed pineapple, raisins and crushed frosted flakes on top. However, that is not kosher for Passover. Potato kugel, at least how it is made in my family, is grated potato, with perhaps some other grated vegetable or spinach baked in a casserole dish. Like hash browns gone horribly, horribly wrong.

I found this recipe for cauliflower kugel at Epicurious, but I'm afraid that it might rock the boat too much (seders are supposed to be uber-traditional). I am the person in my family who rocks the boat though, so I guess it wouldn't be to much of a stretch for me to do the same with kugel. Anybody out there got a really good recipe? I'm afraid that next week will turn into (shudder) kugel week, with copious amounts of testing the stuff. Help!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim Strahan said...

I don't have any recipes, so I decided to search to find one that would fit the traditional and gourmet at the same time. I did find a broccoli kugel, but it has chicken bouillon and I don't think that would work for you because of the chicken, but it did call for toasted pine nuts. When I go back and look at the epicurious recipe it calls for almonds, but I think substituting pine nuts would be better. But hey, I love toasted pine nuts. Good Luck!

March 31, 2006 5:29 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Thanks for the ideas, Kim!

March 31, 2006 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home