June 18, 2006

Cookbook Awards (Adam's Non-Meme) Part III

The inspiration

Part one here

Part two here

Glad to Own But Barely Use Them Awards

1. La Bonne Cuisine... by Madame Evelyn Saint-Ange

The partner's mommy gave this to us as a house warming present. It's absolutely fascinating but not very practical for my day to day use. I like having a better understanding of classic French cuisine but I'm not likely to find dinner in it, especially not if we continue with our non-canivorous lifestyle.


2. Lord Krishna's Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuni Devi

Fantastic resource for Indian vegetarian cooking. Not practical at all unless I want to spend days making dinner. Nor do I have most of the kitchen supplies or access to the ingredients required. (Partner adds, "Nor do they have f****** garlic or onion in their recipes because they're a weird cult." When we do make things out of here, we add the garlic and onions, even though it heats our blood. Mmmm, hot blood.)

3. On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee

The mack daddy of cooking references. I have yet to really go through it though because I am a bad, bad future culinary student. It's a lot of information to absorb at once, even too much for my sponge-like brain (Spongy because I seem to retain an enormous amount of ridiculous information, not because I have a brain-wasting disease, knock on wood).

4. The Way to Cook by Julia Child

Look at the author. 'Nuff said. Ridiculous instructions, a lot of work and totally admirable. Once, I thought that I made a recipe out of this and I was so very proud of myself, until I realized that I totally screwed it up. Whoops.



El fin para manana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home