July 21, 2006

Vacation Food: River-Front Dining and the Green Fairy

Part One is here.

Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic

Cesky Krumlov is a small walled city on the banks of the Volta about 60 km (I think) from the Austrian border. Every meal we ate here, besides the breakfast provided by the hotel, was along the river. The river makes a U-shape in the middle of town and on both sides there were numerous places with river-front dining. Our first day there, I eyed a cute little stand selling all sorts of cool fruity drinks, with or without alcohol and I insisted that the partner and I each get one. They had teeny tiny watermelon wedges, how could I resist? It was fun to sip something cool while people watching.

The best place we went to was vegetarian and also had the best beer we tried in the Czech Republic. It was a very local dark beer that really tasted like it was dark, unlike all the other ones that we sampled. Pity, we couldn't find it anywhere else during our stay. It was so nice being able to look at a menu with the knowledge that I could order anything off of it. For our other dinner in town, I had a whole trout. It was the first time I ever ate anything that still had its head attached. M dared me to eat the eye, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I forgot to mention earlier that Absinthe is legal in the Czech Republic. The partner indulged a few times and while I was less than enthralled with it, it was still interesting to try it out. We had a very light green one while in Prague and a darker green, and not-as-good quality, one in Cesky Krumlov. We also tried a red one at the waitresses recommendation which tasted far too much like Campari, the devil's drink, for me to like. Darn me and my American bitter-disliking taste buds. David Lebovitz also has interesting info about Absinthe on his site. Yes, it made my tongue numb and yes, it made me very,very drunk.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home