July 28, 2006

SHF #21 Jamaica Sorbet


(For those not in the know SHF = Sugar High Friday)

Participating in my first international blogging extravaganza, I present my very own creation, Jamaica Sorbet (or so I thought until I saw this). Here's what I did:

Collect:
1 cup dried red hibiscus flowers
5 cups water
1/4 - 3/4 cup sugar
1 TB good tequila

Combine hibiscus and water in a pot. Cook over medium heat until misture begins to simmer. Let cook for 5 minutes and remove from heat. Add sugar to taste and mix well. I like my jamaica tart, so I added about 1/2 cup sugar, but I think that was a little bit too much. However, you if don't add enough sugar, your sorbet can be too icy, so proceed with that in mind. Cool for about two hours and let chill in the fridge overnight.

The following day, stir tequila into the jamaica and add to your handy-dandy ice cream maker. Follow your machines instructions. When done, pack in a container and put in the freezer until firm. I put a whole shot of tequila in mine which was too much alcohol and made my freezing time longer than it ought to have been. Consume, even if it's barely 7 am and it has tequila in it, hey it's Friday.

Now that I have conquered this, I believe that it is timew to realize my dream of Latino inspired sorbet trio. Pepino-Chile here I come!

Look here for more SHF entries, as of Sunday 7/30/06 whatever day she feels like. Thanks to Sarah for hosting.

(Any comments for my photo editing non-skills (especially from anyone who knows what they're doing)? I re-discovered Picassa this week and am fooling around with it. Advice is most welcome.)

Techonrati Tags:

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home