August 30, 2006

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

On Sunday, I couldn't fall asleep. I was too nervous; my stomach was churning, my head wouldn't turn off. I lay in bed thinking, "Why am I not sleeping? Why am I not sleeping..." I had forgotten how scary the first day of school can be.

Bleary-eyed and feeling a bit like I was in a costume, I went to my first class, Introduction to Pantry, in my full cooking regalia. We then spent three hours getting to know each other and Chef. Students must call all of our cooking instructors chef. No last name necessary.

There are close to 50 people entering the program this year, the largest class the department has ever had. I heard about 5 times yesterday that not all of us are going to finish, which is understandable, not everyone is going to like it, people have other events going on in their lives, etc. Still it was a bit disconcerting to be told by almost everyone that I met that a good 3/4s of us aren't going to make it. Right now, my goal is to make it. In two years, I am going to have my certificates. I am going to be a cook. I am going to do what I've wanted to do since I was twelve. It is going to happen. This is one of the most nerve-wracking, brave, exciting thing that I've ever done. And I'm going to do it.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are going to do it! Good luck with the first week of school. You'll do great.

August 30, 2006 3:59 PM  
Blogger Harry and Eddie said...

You made it through the first week! Congratulations. I remember the days leading up to my first day at Calif. Cul. Academy. I'm not sure I slept much either. Starting school at age 42 was not easy, but I did all 16 months and would not have missed it for anything. Hang in there, and I'll be checking back to see what you've been up to.

September 02, 2006 1:16 PM  
Blogger ASK said...

Well, just remember how many times you've heard "this is a hard class" before. I tell it to my students all the time.

Of course, last quarter I did have a 25% fail rate, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

September 04, 2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Awww, folks. Thanks for checking in and giving your support. It means a lot to me.

September 04, 2006 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home