January 21, 2007

A Cry for Help

Some of the evidence

Dear Reader,

I have a problem. It involves going to the grocery, gourmet shop, nifty Asian/Middle Eastern/Latino market or on vacation and buying interesting food items and then not knowing what to do with them. My sneaking suspicion is that most people who are interested in all things food have similar issues, or perhaps they are brilliant and always know what to do with the strange things they find lurking in their cupboards.

Left to right: Cherry jam, cherry-chipotle sauce, sweet red beans, whole mace (what was I thinking?), lime oil, caraway seeds (purchased to make Irish soda bread which the partner hates), pomegranate vinegar, pomegranate molasses, elderflower syrup and chili oil. Not pictured: squid ink pasta (how long can pasta last in the pantry?), Israeli couscous, whole grain spelt, two(!) jars of lemon curd, walnut oil and frozen wonton skins.

Please help these foodstuffs find their out of the pantry and onto our plates. Any and all assistance is much appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

I am running out of storage space

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...the only one that I could possibly help you with is israeli cous cous. Would you like me to email you the recipe?

January 22, 2007 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problem. But I'm totally nuts; I love to make stuff up. Do you think cooking school curtails your imagination?
I would seriously get into that lime oil. I'm thinking pasta and scallops. Oh! Squid-ink pasta! Yeah.
Get into that walnut oil before it's too late, also. It's just right with arugula.

January 22, 2007 5:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have pomegranate cupcakes for the molaseses on my blog. Lime oil for salads. Lemon curd for a cake filling or frosting even. Chili oil, stir frys!

January 23, 2007 7:50 AM  
Blogger Agent EFT said...

You could have an afternoon tea and make scones and use up the lemon curd and cherry jam.
Hold on to the spelt, I want to see how you use it in a recipe!

January 27, 2007 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home