September 17, 2006

3 Down, 13 to Go

Sorry I've been M.I.A. for a bit. I kept on waiting to get a good chunk of time to do an update but one never came. I don't know when I'll get another chance so this one is a doozy. I also forgot how much studying is actually involved in being a student and frankly it feels a bit odd to trudge out to a coffee shop with text books and index cards. I'm sure that I'll get used to it soon.

All ready my sanitation class is making me a bit gun shy about eating out. A cohort of mine invited me to a fundraiser for her dance group and I was wary about eating the food they had for sale after spending the afternoon yesterday studying foodborne pathogens. I believe that this will only get worse before it gets better.

We finally got to cook this week, instead of the continuous chopping of vegetables that we did last week. I made a roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and ratatouille in my "hot foods" class and a baguette and some rolls in my baking class. We also made pizza dough to use for next week. Honestly, everything was pretty bland and I wasn't the only person to think so. We were supposed to make it exactly as the Chef told us so I didn't even try to fiddle around with spices, herbs and the like. It was fun to actually cook but I've roasted a chicken before. Though, goddess help them, there were a few who hadn't.

I'm doing pretty well on learning people's names. I see almost everyone a few days a week. That helps a lot, so do the names everyone has embroidered on their chef jackets. My favorite part so far about school is seeing people from school out and about in town. S.B. is a fairly small city and its inevitable to bump into someone you know most time. At the Farmer's Market yesterday, I saw a fellow student and at the bakery we go to for breakfast we saw a couple that we met at a party a month ago.

Next week is Rosh Hashannah (Jewish New Year) and we're having a dinner party to celebrate that and the changing of the seasons, so I'll give some info about what we're making soon. 'Til then.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meredith, I was at a grocery store today and they had an apron for sale that was hilarious. You know those jackets they put over you when you are getting X rays at the dentist? Imagine one of those with straps and buckles like a jansport backpack. Fully equipped with three cooking utensils large enough for BBQ use, two large salt and pepper containers, and a plush oven mit. I wanted to take a picture for you but I was sure the cashier would have been unhappy! Well, I cant blame the design on the Uruguayans. It was made in China!!

September 19, 2006 7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel the same way about what im learning in sanitation.

i cant wait to come to your din din on Sabado! yay!

poor shame, you've instructed me to eat lots.

September 20, 2006 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home