October 01, 2006

My Grandma's Pugaches

My grandma was a terrible cook and she was the first to admit it. She was continuously surprised that my mom and I are so handy in the kitchen. The only things that she could make I can count on all my fingers, minus a few. I've been thinking about her a lot recently and I had a craving for her pugaches, a Hungarian biscuit-scone hybrid. This was my favorite thing that she made and she would come over for a visit to especially make them for me. She would always intentionally burn a batch for my grandpa who inexplicably preferred all of his baked goods that way. They are especially delicious for breakfast with jam.

Pugaches

4 cups flour
1 cup sugar (this is a bone of contention between my mother and I. She likes the full amount of sugar and I like 3/4 to 1/2 cup)
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 lb butter, 2 sticks
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add remaining ingredients and knead until dough comes together (this was my favorite part when I was a kid). Turn out onto a well floured surface and roll to 3/4" thick. Using a floured biscuit cutter (or do it Grandma-style and use a drinking glass), cut out pugaches from dough and place about an inch apart on a baking sheet. Re-roll the scraps and repeat until all of the pugaches are shaped. Bake until slightly golden, about 30 minutes. Eat warm, preferably with home-made jam.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you know I love baked goods. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attempt this one b/c apparently sour cream does not exisit here.
http://chuckstull.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_chuckstull_archive.html
(scroll down to the bottom)

October 01, 2006 6:51 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

I think if you subbed full fat yogurt for the sour cream, it would turn out.

October 01, 2006 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I am not trying to be a pain in the arse...but full fat PLAIN yogurt is something I have yet to find. Have you ever tried making it without a yogurt maker?

October 01, 2006 8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home