May 03, 2006

MENU: Middle Eastern Feast

My sister, J, is graduating at the end of the month (Yay sister!) and I have volunteered myself to make lunch for her celebration party. My mother keeps on insisting that pasta salad is the way to go, while J is vehemently opposed to such a plan. I spoke with J about what she wants and her answer is "Whatever you think is best."

Going along with that useful information, I have come upon this menu:

Hummus, Tzatziki and Baba Ghanoush with Mini Pitas
False or Lying (Meatless) Dolmas
Marinated Olives with Feta
Tabbouleh
A Different Greek Salad from Best American Recipes 1999 via The Barbeque! Bible by Steve Raichlen
Broiled Lemon-Garlic Chicken Skewers with Fresh Mint

I was struggling with sweets because J is a very odd duck and does not like nuts in dessert and I could not think of a single thing that would fit the theme and would please the guest of honor. My aunt has graciously taken on that responsibility. Anyone know of anything sweet that would fit the bill? Also, any beverage ideas? Claudia Roden in her fantastic The New Book of Middle Eastern Food has a interesting recipe for a hibiscus drink but I don't know how welcome that would be here. Perhaps just some minty lemonade?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home